I give this one a thumbs up. I liked it and I enjoyed watching it a lot. There were several chills moments. I think Mark Wahlberg is pretty good at playing the kind of guy he usually plays. Maybe not a lot of range, but good at making me believe he is that guy. I thought his dad in this movie was also good, as was his buddy who looked liked Bill Bergey does in my mind. Speaking of which, there was lots of good football stuff in this movie. There were shots of Veteran's Stadium and Texas Stadium, shots of Landry in appropriate dress, shots of lots of Cowboys with the right numbers, and the right red-white-and-blue helmets taht they wore in 76. There were also the right names on the Eagles jerseys, Bergey, Bradley, Carmichael, etc. I wished that I had done a little more 76 research before seeing the movie so that I could have been more cognizant of the accurate details. The story was fairly straight line, but it was the kind of sentimental stuff that I like. Underdog overcomes situation to make it, while going through relationship difficulties that get resolved. Nothing really surprising, but it was better than I expected and I got into it more than I thought I might. It was good. Oh, by the way, I also thought Greg Kinnear was good as Vermeil (though not great) and I liked his wife and Papale's new girl, too.
Friday, September 01, 2006
Invincible
I give this one a thumbs up. I liked it and I enjoyed watching it a lot. There were several chills moments. I think Mark Wahlberg is pretty good at playing the kind of guy he usually plays. Maybe not a lot of range, but good at making me believe he is that guy. I thought his dad in this movie was also good, as was his buddy who looked liked Bill Bergey does in my mind. Speaking of which, there was lots of good football stuff in this movie. There were shots of Veteran's Stadium and Texas Stadium, shots of Landry in appropriate dress, shots of lots of Cowboys with the right numbers, and the right red-white-and-blue helmets taht they wore in 76. There were also the right names on the Eagles jerseys, Bergey, Bradley, Carmichael, etc. I wished that I had done a little more 76 research before seeing the movie so that I could have been more cognizant of the accurate details. The story was fairly straight line, but it was the kind of sentimental stuff that I like. Underdog overcomes situation to make it, while going through relationship difficulties that get resolved. Nothing really surprising, but it was better than I expected and I got into it more than I thought I might. It was good. Oh, by the way, I also thought Greg Kinnear was good as Vermeil (though not great) and I liked his wife and Papale's new girl, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
we are looking forward to seeing it. mark wahlberg isn't my favorite, but i am digging greg kinnear these days. and i'm always up for a good underdog wins and overcomes relationship difficulties story.
Sounds like my kind of movie. I'll put it on the list. Thanks
I'm with Lisa about Wahlberg, but I like the movies he has made in spite of him. The loco and I will definitely see this one - and I hope on the big screen.
Don't think I'm gonna fit this one in, even though I, too, am interested in joining the Greg Kinnear Fan Club. I don't think I could stomach an Eagle good guy, though.
Post a Comment