Monday, September 25, 2006

Gridiron Gang


Wobbly Thumbs Up. Let me start by saying that this movie is not very good. It is obvious. It is completely unoriginal. The dialogue is not interesting, the football scenes are not filmed very well, and the acting of all involved is suspect. Having said all of that, though, I enjoyed it. I like The Rock, despite the fact that he is not good with subtleties, or with crying. Witness his face scrunching pathetic effort from this movie. (I would say he can't be anyone but himself, but his character from Be Cool was quite different. I guess being over the top flaming homosexual is a little bit easier to play than sincere human being.) But, fortunately, he is not asked to be much more than himself. He even gets to put on football pads, though he looks inexplicably dweebish. After all, he was a football player at FSU. Anyway, the kids in the movie look pretty good and do a decent enough job. An interesting subtext that was brought to my mind involved the question about what the justice system is for in the US. Is it punishment, a deterrent, or rehabilitation? How does a football program for juvenile detainees fit into that argument? A worthwile topic, I should think. There were documentary clips from the actual people involved in this prgram, which I thought was interesting. There were even quotes from this footage in the movie. No wonder the dialog seemed iffy at times. Oh well, I still enjoyed it. It was football, after all.

4 comments:

lisa said...

the juvenile justice system does a superbly lousy job of rehabilitating people and punishing people and deterring people.

Anonymous said...

Supposed to be rehab but also becoming a warehouse for misc. persons of questionable decision making abilities. Type actually depends on the amount of corruption in each ind. prison.

I was on a capital murder jury one time and it was very interesting.

I'm not sure what should be done to the child porno, child abusers and rapists.
I know what I'd like for the "system" to do, but it's not realistic in the U.S. and some argue that it doesn't work.
The loco one

ervierto said...

I don't think we have a clear voice on what it should do. If the point is rehabilitation, why do we kill people. There certainly seem to be better ways of deterring people when the enivronment may be better than the place the person is leaving. And if the point is punishment, why attempt to enrich the people's lives? Of course, I believe it should be designed to rehabilitate, and as such, should be completely reworked. But, the way it is currently set up, attempting to do some conglomerate of all three, perhaps, it is designed for failure and recidivism. Of course, the other piece of the equation involves dealing with people's motivation to commit crime. But, that doesn't seem to be talked about much either.

Anonymous said...

I think most will agree with you on each point.

Remember the infamous jail in Arizona. According to a documentary, there is a high return rate there too.

If I knew all the answers I guess I'd be rich and famous. No, no one would listen.

loco one