I liked this movie a lot. Thumbs Way Up. I have not read the book, nor have I seen the first movie. I am also willing to confess that there may be nefarious political subtexts that I am unaware of. Perhaps this is subtle propaganda put out by the Christian Coalition. If so, it missed me. I really liked it. I thik it might be beeb worthy. I also think the performance of Sean Penn may be Beeb-worthy. He seems particuarly adept at playing the over-the-top loud emotional guy. But, one of the things that stuck out for me was his imperceptible shift from soft-spoken neighborhood guy, to a much more sinister character at the end. It was like he changed the light in his eyes. Very well done in my opinion. I thought Jude Law was fine but not great. I liked the story of the progressive politician taking on the big names and getting elected on the backs of the poor people. And then his gradual corruption, still under the name of doing good. Which brings to mind the classic ends vs. means debate. Is it ok to bribe someone to do something good? Is it ok to blackmail somebody into doing something good? Some interesting questions left here. I liked this movie. Maybe you will too.
Wednesday, September 27, 2006
All the King's Men
I liked this movie a lot. Thumbs Way Up. I have not read the book, nor have I seen the first movie. I am also willing to confess that there may be nefarious political subtexts that I am unaware of. Perhaps this is subtle propaganda put out by the Christian Coalition. If so, it missed me. I really liked it. I thik it might be beeb worthy. I also think the performance of Sean Penn may be Beeb-worthy. He seems particuarly adept at playing the over-the-top loud emotional guy. But, one of the things that stuck out for me was his imperceptible shift from soft-spoken neighborhood guy, to a much more sinister character at the end. It was like he changed the light in his eyes. Very well done in my opinion. I thought Jude Law was fine but not great. I liked the story of the progressive politician taking on the big names and getting elected on the backs of the poor people. And then his gradual corruption, still under the name of doing good. Which brings to mind the classic ends vs. means debate. Is it ok to bribe someone to do something good? Is it ok to blackmail somebody into doing something good? Some interesting questions left here. I liked this movie. Maybe you will too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Great review! Certainly one I'll see on the big screen. What's that saying, "power corrupts,...?"
Loco one
Was the bodyguard involved? Seems like if he was such a good shot he wouldn't have shot the assassin in so many non-lethal places then when the end was certain, finished him off w/a shot in the heart. Seem as if there was a lot of fore-shawding about the role of the bodyguard in the movie.
loco
There was not a whole lot of stuff from the bodyguard. He was really more of a side character.
Post a Comment