Thursday, February 02, 2006

Syriana


I give this one a Good. I actually liked it a lot. I thought Jeffrey Wright was very good. I also really liked Tim Blake Nelson in his bit part. I thought the story was very good and had no problem with its complexity. I thought it was a nice little slam at the oil establishment and the way it is tied up in everything going on in the Middle East. "Corruption is why we win!" I thought George Clooney and Matt Damon essentially played the same person they always play. But, that's OK, I like that guy. I also really liked Alexander Siddig. So, good performances, good story, good politics, good movie.

3 comments:

lisa said...

I really want to see this movie. I just can't seem to make it to the movie theater lately. I also like Tim Blake Nelson. I discovered that he directed the movie "O" which I did not like. Grew up in Tulsa Oklahoma and went to Brown University. FYI . .

ervierto said...

He was (according to my brother, though he may not remember having this information) the only one of the three main characters in O Brother Where Art Thou who did his own singing.

Steve said...

Interesting info about Tim Blake Nelson. And thanks for reminding me of Jeffrey Wright's performance. I agree that he was good and I thought the relationship his character had with his father added a valuable touch of complexity to the film, reminding the viewers in some way of the relationship some of the other fathers in the film had with their sons (Matt Damon, and the Arab Sovereign).