Monday, February 27, 2006

The Pink Panther

This gets a Bad. But the truth of the matter is, I enjoy going to the movies. Despite the fact that this movie was not good, I enjoyed the time I spent in the theater not liking it. So there. I like going to the movies. Call me a ovie whore if you will. But there it is. As for the specifics, I thought Kevin Kline (who I usually like) was terrible and way too far over the top. I thought Steve Martin was enjoyable as an actor (more on that later). I also was reminded that I really like Jean Reno. (See The Professional, Ronin, or even French Kiss for more on that.) The story, however, and the screenplay (written by Steve Martin) were terrible. I did laugh out loud but silently to myself on at least one occasion. That and Jean Reno may have been the only thing saving this from Horrible. So, in other words, if you are not the slut that I am stay away. If you are, make this your last choice.

6 comments:

Steve said...

I actually thought I might want to see this when the trailer came out. Then I read the reviews. You, however, are indeed, an ovie whore. Or as the British might pronounce it, an "oovee or." Still, I want to know more about this activity you call "laughing out loud silently to yourself." If you really can pull this off, I hope your next goal should be: to laugh out loud silently to yourself in sadness.

rnr said...

I'm with you, Brian. I love the movies! Most of them. I so love the movies that I earnestly believe the ones I don't like/enjoy are really no good at all. I will go see "The Pink Panther" next week and know I will enjoy it and laugh out LOUD for a couple of reasons: I have loved Steve Martin ever since "The Jerk" - never liked him at all before that. Although I certainly haven't seen everything he's done since. (2) I won't let the fact that I adored Peter Sellers in the part make me not like Steve Martin - I'll just pretend he's another incarnation. I thoroughly enjoyed "The Son of The Pink Panther" with Roberto Benigni in 1993. I like violent movies, romantic comedies, drama, romantic movies without the comedy, many documentaries, not as many comedies (I usually enjoy them but often don't see them), big Hollywood blockbusters, small indie films that almost no one sees, and musicals. I thought "Reservoir Dogs" was excellent. I find that many of my favorite movies are the ones that the critics don't like (especially if they say they're "boring" or "slow.") I like them if they're so realistic that they're painful to watch, and I like them if they're so unrealistic that Gene can't sit through them, and I like them if they're only mindless entertainment. But dramas are my favorite. The worst thing in a movie to me is when the music overpowers the dialogue or is just stuck in because of the ego of some music director. I think I have walked out on only about 10 movies in my life. When can we go again?

ervierto said...

I'll have to find an off Saturday. I am a little behind in my classes, but hopefully soon. Good luck with The Pink Panther, and I hope you do enjoy it.

rnr said...

Well, I just loved "The Pink Panther" and my movie buddy, Haley, did as well. We both laughed out loud several times. I just so love the character of Inspector Jacques Clouseau (and have often seen myself in his bumbling authority) and I thought
Kevin Kline was a passable Dreyfus in spite of his problems with the French accent. I certainly didn't see this movie as a critic but as a grandmother who has been enjoying wonderful "times at the movies" with my little granddaughter. I will even risk the DVD in order to see whether Gene laughs (no one laughs like he does). The small audience in attendance the afternoon we went applauded at the end. I love when that happens.

rnr said...

What classes?

rnr said...

I'll pass on this pathetic excuse for entertainment (as I guess it probably is) and save my time for something good like Steven Kings Green Mile. I laughted in it when the poor bastards head caught on fire and the spectators lost their lunch. Death is forever and violent death can be unbelievably horrible and terrible.