Thursday, February 02, 2006

Capote


I give this one a Good. I thought Phillip Seymour Hoffman was very good, though having no reference for Truman Capote I can't say if he actually "channeled" him. I also thought Catherine Keener was good. This movie was pretty heavy, thick. But, I enjoyed it. It made me want to read the book, though I think my sister did not like it.

8 comments:

lisa said...

I don't know what book we are talking about here. I didn't read it whatever it was. I bet I would like this movie. I like Phillip Seymour Hoffman, not enough for my favorite celebs list, but I've liked him ever since Mr. Ripley. Written by a cool lady, by the way.

ervierto said...

In Cold Blood is, I think, the book you used for your senior English project in Ms. Kelly's class.

rnr said...

See my comment to Steve's top favorite movies of 2005 for my take on this absolutely perfect personification of the essence of Truman Capote by Phillip Seymour Hoffrman. I left hungry for more. Truman Capote was one of those fascinatingly mysterious characters. One of my favorite Hoffman roles was that of Rudy Ruttiger's intellectual friend in "Rudy."

Steve said...

I believe the character of "Dill" Harris in Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird was based on Truman Capote.

lisa said...

well way to call me out globally here, b, but i never read in cold blood. i saw the movie, and read pieces of it on a family vacation, as suggested by steve, but i didn't use it for my senior project for ms. kelley. you may not remember this but our senior projects were very similar--mine was titled war in pieces, and i looked at music and war poetry from ww1.

Steve said...

I read and enjoyed the book during our family vacation of 1991, the summer when Maria Jose met the Bentons. I gave Mari a copy of the book in Spanish, but she did not read it. I chose it because I knew we were going to be driving through the part of Kansas in which the described events took place. I also saw and enjoyed the black and white film version starring Robert Blake.

lfjackal said...

Ruth,

I hate to tell you this but Jon Favreau played the friend in Rudy. I direct you to Boogie Nights for a fine early performance of PSH. Strangely enough, this first time I saw him was in Twister. I hated him. It wasn't until Boogie Nights that I realized he played his role so well in Twister that I thought that was what he was really like.

rnr said...

Hey Jack -
Well, thanks, I guess, for telling me. I've been praising Phillip Seymour Hoffman for that part for a long, long time, and have REMEMBERED him exactly in the role. I have to say I am disappointed that I have so messed with the facts that I couldn't believe you when you said it was Jon Favreau - I mean, this is a favorite of mine!
So, in one weeks time, by way of blogs, I have learned that one of the quotes that has been important in my life actually did not belong to the source I had credited it to, and one of my favorite performances was, in fact, by another actor altogether. Who would have thought that a blog would so shake my world!