Tuesday, June 27, 2006

World Cup stuff

Well, I did not get my predictions to the blog world in time, but I went 7 for 8 in the round of 16. The only surprise, I thought Spain would beat France. Looking forward to the quarterfinals, we've got:
Germany vs. Argentina
The home squad against the most explosive squad we have seen so far. I think this will be a good game. Argentina struggled a bit against Mexico. Germany did not against Sweeden. Germany has Jens Lehmann, Miroslav Klose, Michael Ballack. Argentina has Riquelme, Heinze, Crespo, Adam Sandler... I mean Maxi Rodriguez, Messi. Struggling. I will certainly be rooting for Argentina. As, presumably, will Steve (6 vs. 32), and Maria (1 vs. unranked). I think they'll do it. Argentina with the mild upset.
Italy vs. Ukraine
This has been the lame branch of the tournament if you ask me. I think the winner of this game will be served up to either Argentina or Germany. A lamb to the slaughter. Italy will be playing without Materazzi. Ukraine will be at full strength, but they were unable to score against Switzerland. That's nothing new, though, Switzerland did not give up a goal all tournament. I guess I'll go with Italy. Maria (8 vs. unranked) and I will be rooting for Italy, Steve for Ukraine (14 vs. 26). But, I don't care a whole lot.
England vs. Portugal
Bum deal for Portugal. England has not been playing that well. They got a great goal from Joe Cole. They got a great free kick from Beckham to get through Ecuador. But they have not looked that good. Portugal has been looking pretty good, but they will have to play without Costinha and Deco, significant losses. England will be without Owen, but they have plenty to cover. No word yet on whether Cristiano Ronaldo will be ready to go for Portugal after leaving with tears and an injury in the last game. I think Figo, Pauleta, and Cristiano Ronaldo, if he is fit, will eventually fall to all of England's horses, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Beckham, Cole, Cole, Crouch, ... etc. These will please me, but not Steve (22 vs. 25) and maybe Maria doesn't care, as neither are in her top 10.
Brazil vs. France
I expected this to be Spain and I thought Spain might upset Brazil. I think, though, that Brazil will last one more round. I think they are vulnerable, despite the fact that Ronaldo seems to be ... rounding into form. I like Henry and Viera, but I just don't see them getting through again. No matter what, this will be the last game for a World Cup legend, either Ronaldo or Zidane. I will pull for France and the upset, but I don't see it happening. Mari and Steve both pull for Brazil (4 vs. unranked for M, 21 vs. 31 for Steve.)
I think the winner of the Argentina Germany game will win the cup.

2 comments:

Steve said...

I hated the Argentine loss to Germany, which ruined my World Cup. Argentina was my last hope and when they went up 1-0, I got excited. Rumor has it the refs didn't do a good job, but I didn't pay close enough attention to notice. I partially blame Brian for the loss because he said Argentina would easily win a penalty-kick competition (they didn't). My theory about penalty-kick competitions is that the spoils go to the lucky.

We rooted for Portugal to beat England today (we listened to the game while we were cleaning the kitchen, so I know Rooney got a red card, but I didn't see what happened. We will root for Brazil to beat France, but my heart is not in it anymore.

ervierto said...

So, now we are left with Italy and France. I will root for France.