Group A
Costa Rica Ecuador Germany Poland
I ag
ree with conventional wisdom that Germany and Poland will advance from this group. I will probably be rooting for Costa Rica and Ecuador. I don't know any playe
rs from CR, ECU, or POL. From Germany, I will pay attention to Keeper Jens Lehmann who was tossed from the Champions League final which might have doomed Arsenal to defeat. I am also familiar with Torsten Frings and Michael Ballack. Not a whole lot of interest in this group other than Lehmann and rooting for the underdogs.Group B
England Paraguay Sweeden Trinidad and Tobago
England and
Sweeden will probably advance here, though I will be rooting for England and Trinidad & Tobago. I know most of England roster and I particularly like Rio Ferdinand,
Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, Wayne Rooney, and Peter Crouch. And of course, there's Beckham. I like England. From Sweeden I am familiar with Fredrik Ljungberg and Henrik Larsson. From T&T I know Jason Scotland and Stern John. I don't know anybody from Paraguay. I am a big fan of England from this group and look forward to watching them.Group C
Argentina Ivory Coast Netherlands Serbia and Montenegro
I think I am going to buck the trend and go with Argentina and Ivory Coast to advance here. I really like the Ivory Coast and I will also root for the Netherlands. From Argentina, I am familiar with Gabriel Heinze, Juan Riquelme, Leo Messi,
and Hernan Crespo. From Ivory Coast, I really like Koko Toure, Emmanuel Eboue, and Didier Drogba. From Holland I know Edwin Van der Sar and think he is very good, I also know Mark Van Bommel and Arjen Robben and I love Ruud Van Nistelroy. I don't know anybody from S&M. I really like IC and will enjoy rooting for the Netherland also.Group D
A
ngola Iran Mexico PortugalMexico and Portugal will be the favorites to advance here and I don't
see it breaking any different. I will root for Angola and Iran though I know none of their players. I don't really remamber the Mexicans I have seen, though I do know Jared Borgetti. From Portugal, I know Renato Paulo Ferreira, Alberto Ricardo Carvalho, Luis Figo, Cardoso Tiago, and Luis Boa Morte and I really like Cristiano Ronaldo. I will enjoy watching Portugal and Mexico while I root against them.Group E
Czech Republic Ghana Italy US
I
think US and Italy will advance here. I will pull for US and Ghana. I think the Czech
keeper aptly named Peter Cech is very good. I also know Pavel Nedved and Milan Baros. From Ghana, I have seen many of them play though I only remember a few, George Owu, Eric Addo, John Mensah, Michael Essien (whom I particularly like) and Matthew Amoah. From Italy I know Gianluigi Buffon, Gianluca Zambrotta, Alessandro Del Piero, Francesco Totti, and Filippo Inzahi. I know the entire US Roster, have seen many of them play, and my favorites are Landon Donovan, DeMarcus Beasley, and Oguchi Onyewu. Thiw will be a good group to watch even outside of the US.
Group F
Australia Brazil Croatia JapanI see Brazil and Japan advancing from here. From Australia I know Harry Kewell. From Croatia, Dado Prso. Nobody from Japan. Many from Brazil with my favorite being Ronaldinho. I like to watch Brazil and I will also root for Japan. Not much of real interest here outside of Brazil for me.
Group G
France South Korea Switzerland TogoI think France and South Korea will advance. From FRA I know Fabien Barthez, I really like Mikael Silvestre and Lilian Thuram, as well as Patrick Viera. I
also LIke Claude Makelele and Thierry Henry. I also know Zinedine Zidane, Louis Saha, and David Trezeguet. I like the French. For the rest I know Ji-0Sung Park from SK and Phillippe Senderos from Switzerland. I will pull for Togo and France.Group H
Spain Ukraine Saudi Arabia Tunisia
I will root for Spain and Tunisia, though it appears clear that Ukraine will outstrip Tunisia. From Spain I know Iker Casillas
and Jose Reina, Carles Puyol and Marcos Senna, and I really like Francesc Fabregas. That's about it from this group. No real interest here outside of Spain.So, my favorite squads
1. US
2. England

3. Ivory Coast
4. The Netherlands
5. Ghana
6. Brazil
7. France
My favorite non-us players

Ronaldinho, Ruud Van Nistelroy, Michael Essien, Didier Drogba, Thierry Henry, Jens Lehmann, Mikael Sivestre, Lillian Thuram, Rio Ferdinand, Ashley (below) and Joe Cole (right),

Eboue and Toure.
Best Group outside of E, CViva Copa Mundial!

7 comments:
I'm surprised you don't have more love for Paraguay, since you've been there. I'll leave the games on if I'm at home, but don't expect to record any. The only player names I'd heard above before the World Cup were: Beckham (England), Figo and Ronaldo (Portugal), Donovan, Beasley, Keller, Johnson (U.S.), Ronaldinho (Brazil), Zidane and Henry (France). I've started hearing about Rooney (England), Crespo (Argentina), Onyewu (U.S.). Who would you say are the most important 3 players I have not mentioned here?
Right now, these are my root-for rankings, based largely on a combination of upset-factor and per capita GNP.
1. Togo (G)
2. Côte d'Ivoire (C)
3. Angola (D)
4. Ghana (E)
5. Ecuador (A)
6. Argentina (C)
7. Paraguay (B)
8. Mexico (D)
9. Costa Rica (A)
10. Trinidad and Tobago (B)
11. Tunisia (H)
12. Iran
13. Serbia & Montenegro
14. Ukraine (H)
15. Croatia (F)
16. Saudi Arabia
17. Poland
18. United States (E)
19. South Korea (G)
20. Japan
21. Brazil (F)
22. Portugal
23. Australia
24. Czechoslovakia
25. England
26. Italy
27. Sweden
28. Netherlands
29. Spain
30. Switzerland
31. France
32. Germany
I want updates. please.
and nice job on the pix here. many cute guys.
Most important three...
Jens Lehmann German goalkeeper
Juan Riquelme Argentine midfielder
Arjen Robben Swedish striker
maybe add Essien, Ghanaian midfield and Casillas, Spanish goalkeeper.
Pretty cool list. Rumors abound that there was another one compiled in your domicile, but it is yet to be seen.
The rumors are founded. Here's MJ's World Cup Root-For Top Ten:
1. Argentina
2. Ecuador
3. Paraguay
4. Brazil
5. Mexico
6. Costa Rica
7. Spain
8. Italy
9. Tunisia
10. Côte d'Ivoire
I was going to comment on some of today's results, but then feared that you might be recording them and wouldn't want to know the results in advance so I have refrained.
South American stories tell of a girl ...
They speak Portuguese in Brazil. Move them down below Spain.
I have been eating marzipan lately.
DA
Post a Comment