Thursday, June 15, 2006

World Cup Game 1

My plan to "delay a couple" has proven to be somewhat ridiculous, but I have seen every minute of each team's first game now.
Most Impressive:
1. Germany
2. Spain
3. Czech Republic



Still Sleeping Giants
1. England
2. Brazil




Most Disappointing
1. US
2. France

Biggest Surprises
1. Trinidad and Tobago gets a draw.

Most Shocking Turnaround
1. Australia - 3 goals in the last 10 minutes to beat Japan 3-1.
2. Saudia Arabia - looking like a high school team throughout the first half only to come back with two goals in the second to take the lead over Tunisia

Best Performance
1. Arjen Robben - that guy was everywhere for the Netherlands

Sorriest Performance by a Supposed Stud
1. Ronaldo - Brazil Never seemed to break into a jog. Pretty worthless for a guy three goals away from setting the World Cup record for most goals.

Most Unused Stud who Played 90 minutes
1. Iker Casillas - It didn't seem like the Spanish Goalkeeper ever even touched the ball.

Best Goal Moment
1. Togo becomes the first African nation to lead in the Cup this year
2. The Saudi Arabian legend Al Jaber back for his 4th consecutive Cup comes on as a sub and scores to give the Saudis a late lead.
3. Bend it Like... Beckham of course, whether the Paraguayan touched it or not, that ball was headed for the back of the net. What a score.

Best Announcers
1. Tommy Smyth and his partner, whatever his name is. By far. Puts a bulge in the onion bag.

Worst Announcers
1. Shep and Glenn. They're terrible. Worth Noting: I think only Delacamer and Harkes are actually in Germany. The others announce from a studio, presumably in Bristol.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Germany impressive? After scoring in the 90th minute against Poland? Nein.

Tommy Smyth’s partner sounds like Eric Idle.

If you’re in the kitchen washing dishes and Tommy Smyth says “get rid of the first game,” it sounds like “get rid of the foreskin.” It’s enough to take the bulge out of the onion bag.

It’s been a sucky World Cup for me. Only Ecuador over Poland counts for me as a good surprise for I team I root for. I didn’t see the Trinidad & Tobago tie with Sweden, and I didn’t like England scoring on T&T in the 83rd minute. Just as bad: Sweden scoring in the 89th minute against Paraguay.

I can’t abide all the diving. For the good of the game, a group of harsh judges should identify the frequent flyers and suspend them.

I think you need to keep a list of Top Tommy Smyth-isms. Here’s one to describe a good game: “What a game this one has turned out to be. This one’s a real cracker.”

ervierto said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ervierto said...

I thought Germany looked impressive after their first game, much less so after the Poland game.

There might not be a more fun announcer to listen to than Tommy Smyth in my book. He speaks quickly, he really knows what's going on, and he uses a whole lot of idioms and expressions taht are not in my normal lexicon. I love it.

The US is out. Bummer. I'll see if I can get an update on this after today's games.

Anonymous said...

Things Fathers Do
1. Babysit three dogs and three cats while their owners skip town to watch softball.
2. Drive across town to watch simultaneous soccer matches on multiple screens with loud and distorted volume beside a solitary fan.
Now can we just get on with baseball season to pass the time until football comes around again?
DA