Thursday, June 08, 2006

Benteranto

As mentioned in a previous post, my movie rating system is changing to a more universal rating system. The goal is to translate and somewhat align my well publicized ratings with the invisible never publicized ratings of my sibling to the far North. We will be using the language of the thumb. Since this is on my blog, I will give you a translation from Olde Bent to Benteranto. Olde Bent contained 5 ratings, Excellent, Good, OK, Bad, Horrible. The movies fit into those categories similar to a bell curve with far more movies getting an OK than Excellent or Horrible. In fact the extremes were only rarely trotted out. The new Benteranto system will have 7 ratings, Thumbs Way Up, Thumbs Up, Thumbs Reluctantly Up, Wiggly Thumb, Thumbs Reluctantly Down, Thumbs Down, Thumbs Way Down. TWU corresponds to Excellent, TU to Good, TRU, WT, and TRD divide OK, TD = Bad, and TWD = Horrible. That's the plan. Let me assure those of you who think you may be getting off the hook that this will in no way change my own allowances towards preview ratings. So don't try pulling out the ancient ploy of the V.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Looks good. And I dig the photos.

I am going to call “Thumbs Reluctantly Up”: “Mild Thumbs Up” and “Thumbs Reluctantly Down”: “Mild Thumbs Down.” I am also going to add an “Hors d’Categorie” for those rare, awful films—1-2 a year—that are so bad that “Thumbs Way Down” doesn’t do them justice.

Like you, I am reluctant to spend my “highest rating” categorie, so I am also thinking about adding a “Highest Thumbs” rating to 4-5 films a year, so that it will be easier for me to give “Thumbs Way Up” ratings. What say ye? (I don’t think you need to buy into the “Hors d’Categorie” or the “Highest Thumbs” categories in order for us to have a functional universal rating system.)

Steve said...

Preview thumbs are dead to me, though I will pull them out to appease you when we go to the movies. I think I let them die off when I lost all confidence in a trailer’s ability to give me an idea of whether or not I will like the film. This is especially true with comedies. Lots of crappy comedies have good trailers because an hour-and-a-half of comedy may only have 2 minutes of funny bits.

lisa said...

i'm glad to hear that you aren't going to allow the V ploy in preview ratings. I think it's fun to rate the previews, although completely meaningless.
i will reserve my impressions of benteranto until i see it in action.