Tuesday, October 10, 2006

School for Scoundrels


Wobbly Thumbs Down. This was not a very good movie. I like Jon Heder. I thought he was great in Napoleon Dynamite. But, now, he is only getting cast as dorks without the script that Napoleon had. I like Billy Bob Thornton sometimes. Here, he was his Bad News Bears guy. Ben Stiller made a cameo. I like Ben Stiller. But, the story just wasn't there. Too much stretching of the script, not enough stretching by the actors, just a couple of guys essentially mailing it in. Oh well. I did smile a couple of times. Other than that, stay away.

7 comments:

Steve said...

Richard Roeper of Ebert and Roeper fame gave it a mild thumbs up.

Jon Heder is belongs to the Special Underwear Club. (So does Eagle coach Andy Reid, and Raven Tight End Todd Heap.)

I don't want to see it (for reasons indendent of the information shared here).

ervierto said...

I guess we want see Jon Heder: Raw, then. So, by the way, is Aaron Eckhart.

Steve said...

"Won't," that is, I assume (I certainly don't want to see Heder Raw).

And I, of course, meant "independent," not "indendent," though I like the word "indendent," and would like for some of us to drop it into a conversation, as in, "Well, that's indendent, clearly."

lisa said...

What's the special underwear club anyway?

Steve said...

The Church of Latter Day Saints. Brian--do you want to offer more details on this one?

ervierto said...

LDS members who are in good stead can receive their "garments" from the temple. These are specially blessed and protective. Maybe they're like a +4 to your armor class. Or something like that. In order to go into the temple, you have to wear your garments. They include undershirts though as I understand it, you can choose boxers or briefs.

rnr said...

I always loved those "conversational" games you played, and taking you up on dares to initiate one.

The LDS folks are serious about their garments. I had a good friend while living in SLC who was quite liberal, a sort of woman of the world (lived a long time in L.A.), accepting of other beliefs, different norms, had gay friends, etc., but she wore those garments "religiously" - for women, white cotton with thigh-length legs, and a camisole under-garment. I found the contrast very odd and a little disconcerting - sort of like, "Who are you, really?" She wore the garments always (not just when attending services in her ward), washed them by hand, dried them on a clothes line. I can't imagine living this way, as if you are ashamed of your body. (I know nothing about the "garments" that men wear, in fact did not even know that men wore them). Although while living in SLC, the Mormons that I knew (most of the friends I made were, in fact, LDS) treated me very well, with kindness, respect, and acceptance. The only time I was proselytized while living in SLC was by a Lutheran. Once, I asked to go with my friend of the garments when she was singing a solo at her Ward. I found the service to be surprisingly nonreligious. I also walked to the LDS church across the street from my house on 9/11/01, hearing beautiful music coming from their cathedral, and feeling the need to "gather" with others. I was welcomed in a quiet way and, again, was not proselytized.

I also found the LDS community at large to be very tolerant of other religious beliefs. There were Catholic, Orthodox Greek, Jewish Synagogues, Unitarians, all protestant faiths, represented in SLC. My friend said that, because the Mormons were persecuted for their beliefs, they were taught religious tolerance.