Tuesday, May 30, 2006

X-Men: The Last Stand


I give this one a Good. Really cool special effects in this one. I thought the Famke Janssen Phoenix effects were really cool. She looked like a badass. Very cool. Also her destruction effects were cool, particularly the Charles Xavier variety. I missed Rogue. I did not particularly like Beast. I like Colossus and wish he got more time. I thought Juggernaut was kinda cool. Not particularly impressed with the new bad girl. I thought Ice Man was good. I really like Ian McKellan. I thought he was very good, particularly in the flashback scene. I also thought Patrick Stewart looked really good in that scene. Lyndsae might want to see this one just for that. The action was good and suspenseful. It was exciting. It pulled me in. And that's what I ask of my action movies. I hope there are more of these in the offing, especially if they leave such a pleasant taste in my mouth on the way out.

6 comments:

Steve said...

Famke Janssen Phoenix? What an awkward name.

Glad to hear you liked this one. Metacritic thinks it's not as good as the previous two (I see that the director is different)and Slate agrees (at least that's my guess based on the review title: "Death to X-Men: A sequel only a mutant could love"). Kelsey Grammar as the Beast's blue cousin looks a little silly to me (did you happen to read what TIME had to say about Kelsey's criminal ways?). But I want to see it anyway (I'm sure Mari does, too). Would you say it is as good as the previous two?

ervierto said...

Fammke Janssen, actress, character - Phoenix. I don't know about better than the first two. Honestly, I don't remember the second one much. I liked the first one a lot, though. And, I guess I also liked the second one too, now that I remember it. I guess I can't say. They were all pretty good.

ervierto said...

And I did not read TIME.

Steve said...

According to TIME, KG "conducts his private affairs like a man competing in a tabloid decathlon. To summarize: three wives (including a stripper and a Playboy bunny), three children (not all by people he was married to), plus trouble with alcohol (DUI) and cocaine (possession, rehab).

lisa said...

i've seen interviews with kelsey grammar. seems like an egomaniac pig.
i feel like i should have seen these movies. never did.

rnr said...

I saw the first and, not ever having been a fan of SciFi, and not knowing that I was going to see one, I was somewhat over/under whelmed. I will pass on this one as I did on the second. I remember being astonished that I was still in the theater watching the first one all the way through.