
I give this one an OK. Let me first say I loved this book. In fact, I thought it was almost written to be a movie. It was very exciting, the kind of book you don't put down. I also found that before going into the movie, and even during the movie I did not remember the book very well. So I have no explanation for why the movie felt so flat. It completely failed to draw me in. I don't think I can exclusively blame Tom Hanks hair, during the movie in fact, it was not noticeable. I like Tom Hanks, I also like Audrey Tatou, and of course Sir Ian. But, I just didn't get anything. My thrill meter was low. And for a movie that is setup as a thriller, this is a death knell. I liked the story. I enjoyed the little bits of what I must assume are faux history. I am inclined to do some research on the early church. But, I am not excited by this movie. A disappointment.

11 comments:
Well, Bri, if you have been keeping up with all the blogs (I certainly have not - just struggling to catch up with them all, and follow the links - a real challenge), then you know that I just loved this movie. I, too, have read the book, and I found a 2-something-hour movie did indeed do justice to a book that took me at least 12 hours to read. I loved the quiet moments when you could see Tom Hanks' character processing information, and I loved the visual effects - I haven't been to the Louvre, nor to any of the other historical sites, nor to Europe, and I thought it was beautifully filmed. I don't crave to be excited every moment of a thriller, but I crave to be mentally engaged. This movie delivered.
I like Tom Hanks, I like Ian McKellan, I like Audrey Tautou, and I sometimes like Ron Howard (A Beautiful Mind, Far and Away.
Like you, Ruth, I crave movies that engage me mentally.
I too crave movies that engage me mentally. I am so tired of "save the world," "one man or one team to save a country," "car chases" and "childish horror movies."
I also avoid the movies that has the music drown out the dialog.
Viva European movies.
I'm trying to view your previous posts, Brian, and they aren't coming up - MI III, A Date With Olivia, Thank You for Smoking. Any suggestions? I'll try again later, if that's a suggestion you might offer.
i really want to see this movie. i am the only person in america who hasn't read the book. i am going to hope that i agree with gene and ruth.
I haven't read the book, Lise. And neither has Emilio. That I know of.
For the record, let me once again point out that I gave the movie an OK. I enjoyed it. I liked my tiem in the theater. It just did not live up to the book. And, I was not excited by it. I did like it, though.
Brian, you are an athlete at heart. Probably a great coach too.
My guess is that you love sports and the drama that goes with it, such as the ball in the air, that can win the game, and the time clock reads zero. I loved the Rose Bowl, Ruth was hiding under the covers till with her hands over her ears and came back to life when we scored two TD's. Great sport drama. I also loved the change in attitudes of the announcers throughout the game. At the conclusion they could hardly contain themselves, at least that's the way it seemed to me. Do you remember the famous incident when an announcer yelled, "He dropped the damn thing?" "Code" is a well done movie about a work or fiction I'd not recommend to a sports fan (fan, short for fanatic). Now, I did love "Radio" and it really was flat and drawn out too. So we all have our good days and our bad days.
Personally, I love adventure. I like some of it on the screen, I'd rather do most of it. Like, dude, I'm not climbing Mt. Everest. That is not adventure, that is love of pain and misery and torture.
I'm just rambling now so what chances do you give the Longhorns for beating Ohio State?
I think they will definitely beat Ohio State. I think they may only lose one or two this year.
I don't think so. Texas does not have a QB that has taken a snap and the OS QB is pretty good. Some drums are beating for the Heisman. Fingers crossed. I think I'll watch it on TV. Sometimes R and I go to game and catch someone coming out and ask if he is going back in and if he is not we get his ticket.
Oh, getting tickets from leaving fans works better at half time.
Post a Comment