Tuesday, May 02, 2006

American Dreamz


I give this one an OK. Again, barely. Seems like Marcia Gay Harden was wasted with Poopy (her nickname for husband Dennis Quaid) making up the majority of her dialogue. I also didn’t like the portrayal of the gay Arab. The satire here is also a bit too easy. It just paints the president as a dumbass who is basically a good person. It doesn’t miss an opportunity to make the cheap joke about the idiot. It is, in my opinion a bit ham-handed. I think this had a lot of unrecognized potential. Having said all of that, however, I like it that movies that ridicule the president get made. Especially this president. I like it that movies that make fun of pop culture and icons that I don’t like get made. I think that is a good thing. Maybe it’s OK to support the idea of this movie but not the movie… So… this must have been a good movie… and you must want to see it… or at least buy a ticket…

6 comments:

Steve said...

So, what you're saying is: we should buy tickets to American Dreamz, but see m:i:III?

ervierto said...

Yes.

lisa said...

i wanted to see it. i think now that i have read your review of it, i will skip it.

ervierto said...

But buy a ticket

lisa said...

yeah . . . no.
i'm not buying a ticket.
sorry charlie

rnr said...

I'll buy a ticket to anything that will bash bush, even though it's not particularly good or intelligent bashing.