finally, a birthday movie comes through. There has been a long and storied history of movies that I have watched to celebrate my birthday that have been, in the opinion of many, awful. From Bewitched to Dr. Doolittle 2, from Clash of the Titans, Dick Tracy, Last Action Hero, True Lies, To Sleep With Anger, Batman Returns (the one with the penguin), Sunset, Dragnet (famously chosen over the desires another Benton family movie reviewer who desparately wanted us to see ... Ishtar), the list goes on and on and on. Finally however, I have found one that did not suck. In fact, I think I give it a Wobbly Thumbs Up. I enjoyed it. I thought Lex Luthor was good, I liked Parker Posey. I thought Superman was typically bland. It was very long, and I did become aware of that at times. I did not particularly like the boy. I did not really believe the Lois boyfriend. And Jimmy was not particularly good for me. But, the action was cool. The special effects were good. It was fun to watch. So, not the greatest, but not a waste of celluloid, either.
Friday, July 07, 2006
Superman Returns
Well,
finally, a birthday movie comes through. There has been a long and storied history of movies that I have watched to celebrate my birthday that have been, in the opinion of many, awful. From Bewitched to Dr. Doolittle 2, from Clash of the Titans, Dick Tracy, Last Action Hero, True Lies, To Sleep With Anger, Batman Returns (the one with the penguin), Sunset, Dragnet (famously chosen over the desires another Benton family movie reviewer who desparately wanted us to see ... Ishtar), the list goes on and on and on. Finally however, I have found one that did not suck. In fact, I think I give it a Wobbly Thumbs Up. I enjoyed it. I thought Lex Luthor was good, I liked Parker Posey. I thought Superman was typically bland. It was very long, and I did become aware of that at times. I did not particularly like the boy. I did not really believe the Lois boyfriend. And Jimmy was not particularly good for me. But, the action was cool. The special effects were good. It was fun to watch. So, not the greatest, but not a waste of celluloid, either.
finally, a birthday movie comes through. There has been a long and storied history of movies that I have watched to celebrate my birthday that have been, in the opinion of many, awful. From Bewitched to Dr. Doolittle 2, from Clash of the Titans, Dick Tracy, Last Action Hero, True Lies, To Sleep With Anger, Batman Returns (the one with the penguin), Sunset, Dragnet (famously chosen over the desires another Benton family movie reviewer who desparately wanted us to see ... Ishtar), the list goes on and on and on. Finally however, I have found one that did not suck. In fact, I think I give it a Wobbly Thumbs Up. I enjoyed it. I thought Lex Luthor was good, I liked Parker Posey. I thought Superman was typically bland. It was very long, and I did become aware of that at times. I did not particularly like the boy. I did not really believe the Lois boyfriend. And Jimmy was not particularly good for me. But, the action was cool. The special effects were good. It was fun to watch. So, not the greatest, but not a waste of celluloid, either.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
hmmm, now I'm confused. I heard a few good reviews on this version of Superman and was told to see it on the big screen. Now I'm not so sure. Somehow it reminds me of a recruit in basic training. His name was luke. His drill sergeant came in one night and told him his father was dead. Well the boy took it badly enough to spend a few days at the hospital. Of course the drill Sergeant was admonished by the CO and was told to be more empathetic. Well a few weeks later the drill sergeant got news that Luke's mother died. Still smoldering from the last lukie incident he called a formation. Then he said, "Everybody who has a mother that is alive, step forward,---- JUST A MINUTE THERE PVT. LUKE!
loco gringo
I never was much of a superman fan. Don't know why, just wasn't. I guess that it might have something to do with the tough way I grew up. If I had been supderman, a whole lot of things would have been different, perhaps Faustis and I have somethings in common.
I almost went to see this on Tuesday, but opted for the shorter Devil Wears Prada instead. I was tempted by Dad's praise of the special effects and TIME magazine's description of the paternity scenario, but discouraged by Ebert's pan and your wobbly thumb.
Post a Comment