Friday, July 07, 2006

The Proposition

I give this a Thumbs Up. I don't know if it's right to say that I enjoyed this movie. It is a wee bit dark. But, I did think it was a good movie. I think Steve summed it up pretty well by describing it as a bit of an alligator river kind of story. The problem with that is that all of the characters are bad to begin with. I thought the performance of Ray Winstone was great. I could imagine him being up for a Beeb at some point. I really like Guy Pearce and I thought this was a good role for him. I am also a big fan of Emily Watson (not to be confused with Emma Watson of Hermione fame) but I thought she was a bit of a nonentity here. The story was pretty bare, there was not a lot of frills going on. The cinematography matched this. The deserts of Australia do not seem to be beautiful places in this movie, but stark wastelands. John Hurt was also very good in this movie. He played a crazy bounty hunter very well, and I am not usually a John Hurt fan. And, I almost forgot about David Wenham. I thought he was great as a horrible bastard. I could imagine him getting a Beeb as well. I guess to sum up, don't go to this for a feel good movie, but if you are interested in a discussion about moralities and did he make the right choice and what would you do in that situation, this is a good one to see.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good review. What I most care about is if you can care for any of the characters. If not, then I'll pass.

Anonymous said...

I guess I'll have to use anonymous because I always wind up with calijanedecker. She was a great Aunt or grandmother. Her Native American husband/master and his entire family walked from Texas to California one time. He was looking for a man. While they were there, Cali as we called her, was born and he named her California Jane Decker. She is buried about 20 ft. from Mother and Dad. Gene

rnr said...

This sounds like a great "good bad guy and bad good guy movie." I couldn't go while it was at my Angelika, but will add to NetFlix right away.

ervierto said...

Let me once again remind that it is not a "feel good" movie. Just be aware going in.