I give this one a Wobbly Thumbs Up. I like Scarlett Johansson. I like Huge Ackman. I also like Woody Allen, and I usually like his movies (see Match Point, for example). But this was less than spectacular. Johansson seemed to be attempting to channel Woody for most of the movie. Woody seemed to be taking every opportunity to make Johansson seem fat, both in the camera angles, costuming, and calling her a pig a couple of times (I don't get that, by the way). Johansson also seemed to be different at the end of the movie than at the beginning. However, none of this was enough to throw me out of the movie. I enjoyed watching it, I enjoyed the story line, though I found the ending to be a bit disappointing. Certainly not formulaic in my opinion, but less than desirable, in my opinion. There were some chuckles, but I was disappointed that I did not like it more. Still, not bad.
Tuesday, August 29, 2006
Scoop
I give this one a Wobbly Thumbs Up. I like Scarlett Johansson. I like Huge Ackman. I also like Woody Allen, and I usually like his movies (see Match Point, for example). But this was less than spectacular. Johansson seemed to be attempting to channel Woody for most of the movie. Woody seemed to be taking every opportunity to make Johansson seem fat, both in the camera angles, costuming, and calling her a pig a couple of times (I don't get that, by the way). Johansson also seemed to be different at the end of the movie than at the beginning. However, none of this was enough to throw me out of the movie. I enjoyed watching it, I enjoyed the story line, though I found the ending to be a bit disappointing. Certainly not formulaic in my opinion, but less than desirable, in my opinion. There were some chuckles, but I was disappointed that I did not like it more. Still, not bad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Scarlett would not be the first to dissolve into a Woody impersonation. I've seen Helen Bonham-Carter, John Cusack, and Kenneth Branagh go that way as well. Nobody does Woody like Woody. Hollywood Ending taught me that even Woody doesn't always do good Woody. I had little difficulty sitting this one out.
Post a Comment