Tuesday, April 25, 2006

FC Dallas vs. Kansas City Wizards


A good early season test for the Hoops (did I mention that I have no idea why they are called this, though I happen to have heard that my favorite SPL team, Celtic, is also called the Hoops) as they come back from a road draw to face another undefeated team in the Kansas City Wizards, new home of former FCD player and almost certain US World Cup Team member, forward Eddie Johnson. I was bummed out to have missed catching the Colorado game on TV, just because I didn't remember it and I wasn't at home. Clarence Goodson had a rough outing in that one, giving up an own goal as he tried to clear a ball from the penalty area, and giving up a handball in the box for a penalty kick. Fortunately, FCD was able to get two goals also and we escaped with a draw. One of the first things I noticed in this game was that Goodson was on the bench. I wonder if he'll be back. I like him. I also noticed that Ronnie O'Brien (or, in my head, Irish) was also back, despite missing the Colorado game for "personal" reasons. There was speculation that he was supremely frustrated at playing with knuckleheads, or something like that. He often looks frustrated on the field when things don't go down the way he wants them to, or when he and a teammate miscommunicate (they don't go where they are supposed to). I think he's good, though, and he's Irish, and I was glad to have him back. My game companion for the day was Olivia, who thouroughly enjoyed herself, despite 90 degree heat. She had M&Ms for the first half, I had a Snickers ice cream bar and a Diet Dr. Pepper. We had barely sat down, seen all the streamers from the opening kickoff being blown off the field and settled in when Carlos Ruiz smoked a shot at the goal that was deflected right to Kenny Cooper who put a bulge in the old onion bag. Stunning. 3 home games for the Jesuit, 3 goals. Dallas up 1 to nothing. The rest of the first half consisted mostly of FCD controlling the ball and not quite finding the net or, in fact, getting off very many shots. KC could not seem to get anything through their midfield and consequently, could not mount much of any attack. At halftime, we went to get Olivia a bottle of water and see about getting her a shirt. They did not have the right size in the right style, so we returned to our seats, where the two gentlemen sitting behind us who rooted softly for KC with British accents had kept a keen eye on the giveaway backpack style bags we had left. The second half started and KC began to turn things around. They were getting a lot more pressure and seemed to be generating a lot more opportunities. But, they also were not hitting the goal. Eddie Johnson missed a wide open net and another nameless guy also whiffed. Dario Sala played well in goal for FCD, but those guys were also struggling. In about the 72nd minute, with KC on a breakaway, Chris Gbandi, another guy I like, from Ghana, brought down the breaking Wizard from behind and was awarded a red card for his trouble. So, now, clinging to a one goal lead, facing mounting pressure from the Wizards, we were going to have to play the last 18 minutes and stoppage time one man down. It was starting to look bleak. But, we continued to play well. We pretty much abandoned the offense and packed things in, locking out the Wizards. We made it to stoppage time. But, there were five minutes of stoppage time. A seeming eternity. KC won a corner kick. Right in front of Olivia and I. Nice ball across the net, deflected away, right to a Wizard. Goal. Bummer. So, now with scant moments left, we are tied and I am deflated. Olivia looks at me and says, so is it going to be a tie? Probably So. But wait, what's this, Aaron Pitchkolan, recently subbed onto the field, streaking behind the KC defenders, only one guy to beat, a rifle shot right under the diving goalkeeper, SCORE!!! Sweet Mary! The game ends. FC Dallas 2-1. 3 home games, 3 wins. What a great start to the Brian as season-ticket holder era. Unable to sleep on the way home, Olivia decides to read a little bit and ends up reading an entire chapter book in 54 minutes. Perhaps her first chapter book in one sitting. Certainly the longest recorded single session of reading. What a day. Next up, LA Galaxy on May 10.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Great drama. I hope Olivia learns to exclaim "Sweet Mary!" when something good and exciting happens. Or when she finishes a chapter book. What was the chapter book in question, by the way?

The photos really enhance these reports. Next time you go--especially if you go with Olivia, I think you should borrow a digital camera and take a shot of her from your seats.

lisa said...

For what it's worth, olivia and i hung out the day following this game and olivia relayed the story of this soccer game with remarkable recall (including the names of the players who scored the goals and the times at which the goals were scored) and enthusiasm. She is probably well on her way to "sweet mary". either way, it was clear she was totally into it.
you can borrow our (andy's old) digital camera any time you want.

ervierto said...

The chapter book was a Junie B. Jones book. I forget exactly which one.