Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Failure to Launch


I give this one an OK. Which, is a minor miracle. I was going in searching through my own personal thesaurus to find words bad enough to describe the experience I was about to go through. I was expecting disaster and drivel. However, I was pleasantly surprised. I thought Terry Bradshaw was surprisingly well cast as himself (not literally), and was therefore able to carry off his role pretty well. I thought Kathy Bates did a good job. I thought Matthew McConaughey(? not bothering to look up the actual spelling... oh, yes I am, I forgot the u) was good. (For some reason, he still qualifies for the Texan exemption from bad movies that Tommy Lee Jones has somehow lost. Maybe if Tommy Lee had made commercials as a crazy man out to get those who "Mess with Texas" he would get a little more play from me. Maybe not. I mean McConaughey did also make my favorite Grisham book into a decent movie. He was also funny in the Bill Murray and the elephant movie.) I thought Sarah Jessica Parker had a small role that was decent. I liked the presence of Robb Cordry. I thought the story had good moments. It felt real at tiems, which is often a stretch for these types. But, the ending managed to bring it back into the land of cliche. Alas. It also had some undeveloped moments that might have made it better (Cathy Bates talking about the adjustment of living alone with her husband comes to mind). So, all in all, it was OK. Not great, not a reccommender, but ok.

4 comments:

rnr said...

I'll look forward to seeing it, then. I, too, have mixed reactions to Matthew Mc... I think his worst ever was "Amistad," at least the worst I have seen.

ervierto said...

I liked Amistad, not loved it, but liked it, though that had nothing to do with his contribution to it.

lisa said...

i think steve taught me to hate matthew mc.
was it steve?
either way, someone identified for me his over the top accent and fakiness and i haven't been able to really get over it.

Steve said...

I wouldn't say I hate Matthew Mc, and wouldn't claim to have taught others to hate him, but I don't like him. Among other things, I think he's a Republican. And I was disappointed by Amistad.