Monday, March 06, 2006

The Beebs

And so, with most of the preliminary awards out of the way, the time has come to post The Beebs. Just so you know the Beebs are awarded based on movies seen since the last nominees were put out. So, while I saw a total of 81 movies last year, 12 of those were included in the previous awards. And, if you add in the 16 movies I have seen this year (not counting 16 Blocks which has not made it onto the blog yet) the total movies to choose from is 85. I will not include the list here unless it is requested. As a reminder, the Beebs often describe themselves as an award for the common man, often including roles overlooked by the elite establishment. We like some quirky stuff round here. Without further ado, the Beebs nominees are:
Best Picture
The Constant Gardener








Crash








The Edukators







Hotel Rwanda








The Interpreter








Best Actor
Daniel Bruhl, The Edukators
Don Cheadle, Hotel Rwanda
Emile Hirsch, Lords of Dogtown
Terrence Howard, Hustle and Flow
Sean Penn, The Interpreter

Best Actress
Julia Jentsch, The Edukators
Nicole Kidman, The Interpreter
Helen Mirren, The Clearing
Sigourney Weaver, Imaginary Heroes
Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line

Best Supporting Actor
Andre Benjamin, Be Cool
Matt Damon, Syriana
Dewayne Johnson, Be Cool
Heath Ledger, Lords of Dogtown
Jeffrey Wright, Syriana

Best Supporting Actress
Emily Browning, Lemony Snicket: A Series of Unfortunate Events
Catherine Keener, The 40 Year Old Virgin
Laura Linney, The Squid and the Whale
Connie Nielsen, The Ice Harvest
Rachel Weisz, The Constant Gardener

Worst Movie
The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl
Are We There Yet
Firewall
The New World
Rebound

The Beebs may also announce a comedy of the year, and any other last minute awards it deems appropriate when the winners are announced March 13th.

16 comments:

ervierto said...

Most disappointed:
Syriana, Jet Li in Unleashed, Heath Ledger in Brokeback (two nods in a year when he released Casanova? I think not), Naomi Watts in King Kong, Emile Hirsch Imaginary Heroes, Bob Hoskins Unleashed, Dakota Fanning War of the Worlds
Relieved:
XXX State of the Union, The Pacifier

Rumors abound that the academy had a hard time finding award worthy female parts this year.

Maria Jose said...

I'm glad Imaginary heroes and Edukators got nominations.
I have forgotten about the girl from Lemony Sniket, she was great!

I loved Hotel Rwanda.

Steve said...

Does my pleasure at seeing The Edukators here outweigh my dismay that it is sharing space with Crash? I'm not sure. Here's a link to a perceptive review of Crash which Jack sent me yesterday: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11700333/

I would have taken Syriana over The Interpreter and The Constant Gardener, and maybe Hotel Rwanda.

I think the only movies I haven't seen that received good Beeb noms (should I call them "'Nams"?) are: Be Cool, Lords of Dogtown, and The Ice Harvest. Of these, Ice Harvest is the most intriguing. I'll probably catch it on DVD someday. I liked Get Shorty, but I think the critics were wise to steer me away from Be Cool, Dewayne Johnson's performance not withstanding (Dewayne strikes me as a cool guy and I liked what I saw of him in the trailers for this film).

I like Terrence Howard, but I did not like Hustle and Flow (and I've grown to hate "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp"). Hustle and Flow almost made my worst films list.

I like Sean Penn (and his outrageous politics), but I didn't believe his relationship with Nicole Kidman in The Interpreter.

I'm glad to see Julia Jentsch getting some love for her perf in The Edukators. And I like everything Helen Mirren does on film.

I'll take Laura Linney for Best Supporting Actress. She was a candidate for a Steve 'Nam.

Glad I only saw one of the Common Beeb's Wurst. And, as you know, I didn't dislike The New World.


So . . . The Edukators, Bruhl or Cheadle, Weaver (though Jentsch is good), Wright, and Linney: Let's win some Beeb!

Steve said...

Bob Hoskins Unleashed sounds like the name of a frightening porn flick.

ervierto said...

Does that mean you saw Unleashed? I am surprised.

rnr said...

What a diverse selection - I think I observed that only one of your best picture noms was accompanied by an actor in any category - Constant Gardener. I have to say I think it's unfair for a movie writeen by a 7-year-old for children should be one your worst noms, while 40-year old virgin (what a gross and terrible film) got any sort of nod about anything. I have added several selections to my "movies-to-see" list based on your nominations. I share your enthusiasm for Crash, and don't see the "contrived" slant that Steve is obsessed about. I think I have now seen it 3 times and liked it every time. I do understand why it didn't get an actor/actress not since there really was no one star. I look forward to the results.

rnr said...

Should have edited my comment before publishing. The "not" in the next to last sentence should be "nod." I'll ignore the other typos I made.

Steve said...

I did not see Unleashed, but it didn't get a nomination (only a "disapointment").

I didn't much care for 40-year-old Virgin, but I loved the final musical number ("Let the Sunshine").

And just because I have "Crash is Satan" inscribed all over the walls and ceiling of my office and on the palms of my hand, does not mean I am "obsessed" with it, Ruth. Did you read the review referred to in the earlier link? Check out the reviews by David Edelstein on Slate and by A.O. Scott in The New York Times for further insight into my thoughts about this year's Oscar winner.

ervierto said...

I have to say I thought The 40 year Old Virgin was quite funny (sorry Ruth). In fact it was probably my number two comedy of the year. I think I will hold number one til the winners are announced.

ervierto said...

So, I will confess that I had not read the article until only just now. And, while I do not care to take the tiem to write a two page defense of the movie, I will say that the striking thing for me was not the message about race. In fact, coming out of it, I wasn't even particularly aware of that. I did not like the movie because of its "point" though it did not detract from it for me. I liked the movie because it wrapped me up in the stories. I became emotionally involved in the characters and the stories. As I said, I didn't care so much about its being a treatise on race, I liked it because it brought me in.

lfjackal said...

I didn't see the Haggis Crash yet (day late dollar short...remember). But I did see the Cronenberg Crash. I thought it was hilarious. Great choice, Brian.

rnr said...

Brian, Thank you!!! You have just given my definition of a good movie, and I would never have been able to define it this well. I love to be "wrapped up in the stories" and to become "emotionally involved in the characters and the stories." I care not one wit for what any of the critics say and would NEVER let a critic determine for me what movies to see or not! I never consider my time wasted while watching (or walking out - as I did in "40-year..." - or hitting stop) on a movie.

lisa said...

I just want to go on record as having warned the beeb not to see firewall prior to his seeing it. And yet he was determined.

lisa said...

Crash, The Interpreter, Lemony Snicket, Firewall and the New World. This is the list of movies that I have seen that made the beebs this year. i am dismayed. Apparently I am more of a common man than the beebster or the beebs are becoming less common or both, seeing as how those two are practically the same and not mutually exclusive. either way, the beebs are not for the common man anymore. you've outgrown your niche. move over bacon, now there's something meatier--tune in for the very late but always entertaining awards on the tomato channel later this week . . .

Steve said...

When you're not getting first hand recommendations from your friends (who are critics), how do you determine what movies to see, Ruth? If you don't let movie reviews influence you, what does that leave except the movie studios' marketing campaigns? In my own efforts to make my movie-going experiences positive (I don't always get to see every movie I would like to see), I have found it best to try to strike a balance between the marketing campaigns and the reports that metacritic.com produces.

Steve said...

I can't wait for the Tomato Gala.