Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Envelope Please

Before we get to the previously announced nominees, let me first say that the winner for best Comedy this year goes to...
Wedding Crashers
I laughed so hard at various points throughout this movie that I could not breathe. A disappointed runner up, The 40-Year Old Virgin.
Up and Coming star to watch in the near future
Vince Vaughn, with his work in Dodgeball, Wedding Crashers, Starsky and Hutch, and Be Cool, this guy has shown some comedic range. He has become a must see comedy guy for the Beeb Academy.
And now, your winners
Worst Movie
The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl
Despite the lobbying of a certain 6 year old female close to the academy, this film was not redeemable. If you want to make a movie with your son, out it on video. Don't mass market it to the youth of the nation who will then drag their parents to see it. Bleck!
Most relieved, probably Rebound. Martin Lawrence should not attempt to carry any movie. Ever.
Best Supporting Actess
Laura Linney, The Squid and the Whale
I dug this understated performance and I have always been a fan of Linney. History buffs may remember if she was nominated or won for Mystic River (I don't remember, or have access to the old files at the moment.) Most disappointed, Emily Browning. A little too far gone in the memory, unfortunately.
Best Supporting Actor
This was perhaps one of the most heated races of the year. Would Andre Benjamin carry his charisma to a win? Would Dewayne Johnson's gay chauffeur be groundbreaking enough to win, or would it just steal votes from Benjamin? Would Heath Ledger get rewarded for his sleazebag performance in Lords of Dogtown? At the buzzer, the award goes to Jeffrey Wright. I thought he was really good. Maybe I was afraid a vote for Benjamin or Johnson wuold be just a little too much of a vote for the actor.
Best Actress
Sigourney Weaver She was very good in this role. No real competition except for Jentsch.
Best Actor
Don Cheadle His performance still resonates with me almost a year later. A powerful role in a powerful movie. Remember, this is the same guy who played Basher in Ocean's 11. Quite the range this fellow has, no? Most disappointed, probably Terrence Howard, who had great momentum comign out after his film, but it tailed off a little too quickly.
Best Picture
In a year of political films, Hotel Rwanda came to the forefront. Perhaps this movie's stature was enhanced by my ride home after seeing it, listening to NPR as an African choir sang gospel songs. It was quite emotional, in the middle of the Sudanese conflict. A stunning film. I reccommend it to you all if you haven't seen it. Most disappointed, The Interpreter. (Crash probably got more academy votes but they had a little trinket of their own already. Kinda like winning the NIT.)

4 comments:

Steve said...

I dig Owen Wilson (awesome in Meet the Parents and Zoolander), but I did not dig Wedding Crashers (I dig Vince Vaughn less than I dig Owen Wilson, although I did enjoy his performance in Psycho.

Laura Linney won Best Supporting Actress for her performance in Mystic River at the first annual Beebs, making her the only two-time Beeber (history buffs will remember that there were only four nominees in the category that year).

I like Jeffrey Wright and Sigourney Weaver (who were nominated for Wevies this year) and Don Cheadle, who won last year's Wevie for Best Actor. I am sorely disappointed that The Edukators got shut out, but this disappointment is mitigated by Crash's crash. (I did not get "wrapped up in the stories" or "emotionally involved in the characters and the stories" because of the film's crude handling of its "message about race," by the way.)

Tanks fer de show!

ervierto said...

Owen Wilson ocasionally strikes some sour notes for me (Starsky and Hutch, for example, or the gawdawful worst movie of the year nominee that he made in Hawaii with Morgan Freeman). I usually prefer his brother.

lisa said...

Martin Lawrence carried Big Momma's House II--right into the toilet.
Someone told me gearing up to watch Hotel Rwanda was something like gearing up to go to the dentist. And I haven't been to the dentist in far too long. I really want to go to the dentist and see this movie. Maybe this year?

Steve said...

I think I compared seeing Hotel Rwanda to getting an innoculation--which is painful, but much less traumatic than a full-blown dental appointment.