Thursday, January 05, 2006
Vince Young
OK. I did not watch all of Texas' games this year. However, I did see a couple. I loved watching them win the title. Vince Young looked liked a major league stud. However, I do not think he will be a great pro. I wish he would come back, win the Heisman, maybe take Texas to another title. But, he will probably be better served coming out now when he will be drafted high. I don't think he will be able to escape in the bigs the way he has in college. I don't think he will be able to run though defensive back arm tackles the way he has at this level. I don't think he will be able to throw the ball with NFL players draped all over him. I think he will be good, maybe even Steve McNair, Byron Leftwich good. I don't think he will be Michael Vick, Peyton Manning good. I hope he is though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
From mi hermano:
Steve McNair-good, but not a great pro? I'm sorry, but McNair has been a great pro--NFL MVP one year, if I recall. Took his team to the Super Bowl and almost won it. Certainly better than Mr. Vick. I think Vince has a chance to be a Randall Cunningham, who was also, once, MVP of the league.
I like the Randall Cunningham comparison, though I don't think Young will be a league MVP. I think of Cunningham as a bit of an underachiever. I always, liked, from the days of the ROBO QB SI cover. But, I always felt like I wished he were better. I think of McNair as steady, but not spectacular. Same with Leftwich. That's what I think Young will be. At best. I fear he may not even be that. I don't think he will be Akilismithandrewarerickmirer, but he might fall even as far as a Rodney Peete.
I understand completely why Vince Young declared for the draft. My fear for him, however, is that he is just not ready for pro football both in terms of experience and maturity and for pro football's lack of heart and spirit which were present in his college games, except for one notable bad hair day for him (I don't remember which game.)
Sorry for the harsh comments to my well-loved pro football fans...
I think declaring for the draft may be the best long term thing for Vince Young. I think his stock is as high as it is going to ever be. I think he is mature enough for the pro game and I don't think another year in college will improve his skills significantly. I think he had to decide to go now. I just don't think he will be very good at the next level. I wish he would have stayed, just because I like him a lot, I want to see him do well, and I thik he has a better chance of doing well at UT than in the NFL.
Well, if they let him do his thing, then I think he will be a great pro. (Mack Brown, when asked why Vince had improved so much over his first season responded, "We just stopped bothering him. He told us he could do a much better job if we would just leave him alone." If they won't let him do his thing, then I don't think he will perform well, nor do I think he will be happy, as a pro.
But, I don't think they will let him do his thing...
Post a Comment